Thursday, November 18, 2010

Alexander Graham Bell Would Be Disappointed

There is no denying that mobile phones are almost an essential piece of equipment these days. I have a newish phone in order to, as they say, stay connected. I did a bit of research prior to selecting this phone. I went with a brand that I've had a few times before since I have had very few problems with their mobile phones in the past. You'd expect a new device to function properly - this is after all why I would buy something new instead of looking for a used product. Though in the case of this particular model, it's a disaster.
The phone is an attractive looking one. It's got all of the features that I was looking for. I wanted a phone that had push-button keys rather than the full-on touch screen only keys since the touch screens tend to find it hard to identify my fingers. I don't know if it's because my finger tips are completely calloused over from playing guitar or if they just doesn't like me. I went with the slidey type phone that also has touch screen capabilities since the flip-style has been just about phased out entirely. I'm not sure why people prefer this slidey phones. It's almost like a sliding rear door on a van as opposed to the standard open and close door. No one I know prefers the sliding rear door. To the best of my knowledge I don't mingle with any kidnappers. Though that might make my house parties more interesting. "Aw, you've spilled wine on my ransom note!"
Now, with any new technology you'd expect some glitches. Perhaps the internet connectivity? Nope, it's spot on. Perhaps the touch screen? Wrong again, it works quite well even with my fingerprintless digits. It's the buttons. Yes, a technology that has been around since the early 1960's. Push buttons on a phone seems like a difficult thing to get wrong. You see, when I press a key while texting or dialing it either doesn't register that I've pressed a button, or it thinks that I've pressed it two or three times. "I'm on my way"? Surely you meant "Iimonnn y wway". As if this collapse in functionality of the phone wasn't bad enough, the alarm feature also is rubbish. Setting the alarm is easy as pie. You set the alarm putting at ease your anxiety of forgetting something or being late. Then you wake up at 7:15 AM to realize that your alarm didn't go off at all and you're scrambling to get ready for work. It seems that if you do not turn the phone off and on every few days, it disregards any alarms that you've set. The only thing that is preventing me from smashing the phone into the wall is probably because I'm running late as the alarm has failed to sound and I just don't have the time to when I think to do it.

2 comments:

  1. Slidey doors are clutch.
    Slide door means that when an a-hole parks too close, I can still get into my car. Slide door screams "dont bother stopping me at sobriety check point, I'm not a threat". It is the epitome of usefulness. Standard doors are antiquated. The Enterprise had sliding doors, and THAT is how they were able to go where no man had gone before.

    ReplyDelete